A spiralizer can take just about any vegetable and turn it into noodles for a healthier alternative to pasta. Which is just one of the many reasons we happen to love this Zucchini Noodles with Pesto recipe.
The zucchini’s subtle flavor makes these noodles (aka “zoodles”) a perfect stand-in for pasta. And the best way to get the crispiest, most al dente noodles? Keep ‘em raw! Just spiralize, mix with the basil and other ingredients and serve! Only 15 minutes for a light lunch or dinner, or even a healthy and tasty side dish. Bonus: Eating a plate of zoodles gets you closer to satisfying your daily requirement of veggies.
Pro Tip: If you want to cook the zucchini noodles, you can. Just add the zucchini pesto noodles to a skillet and sauté them up over medium heat. It only takes a few minutes.
- 4 small zucchini, ends trimmed
- 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Cherry or grape tomatoes, optional
- Use a julienne peeler or mandoline to slice the zucchini into noodles. Set aside.
- Combine the basil and garlic in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. Slowly add the olive oil in a constant stream while the food processor is on. Stop the machine and scrape down the sides of the food processor with a rubber spatula. Add the lemon juice and Parmesan cheese. Pulse until blended. Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine the zucchini noodles and pesto. Toss until zucchini noodles are well coated. Top with tomatoes, if using. Serve at room temperature or chilled.