Spring is in the air! Which means a few things: the days are getting longer, flowers and trees are starting to bloom, baseball is in full swing, and National Walking Day is here.
Since 2007, the American Heart Association has held this event on the first Wednesday in April to encourage Americans to get up and get moving, and then turn that activity into part of a healthy lifestyle.
This year’s celebration occurs TODAY – Wednesday, April 5 – so encourage your friends (even the furry ones!), family and co-workers to dust off their Reeboks and take a walk with you.
If you’re ready to Make Every Step Count (i.e. walking for fitness), we wanted to help get you started by compiling a list of some great ways to add more strolling into your daily routine:
- Take the dog for an extra walk each day, or make your walks a little longer each time. Fido will be grateful.
- Grab the kids and walk to the park or playground.
- Park your car farther from the entrance to your workplace, school, grocery store, restaurants, etc. You will be surprised how many steps this adds to your day!
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator, even if it’s just for one or two floors.
- Window shop at the mall or shopping centers. You’ll be so distracted by all of the goodies, you won’t notice all of the extra steps!
- Walk to a nearby restaurant for a coffee, lunch or dinner instead of driving.
- Take your calls on foot! Whether it’s your boss, friend or family member, catch up while taking a stroll around the block.
- Bring your sneakers to work and take a walk during lunch or your break.
- Grab your family and friends and lead a walk around your neighborhood. TrailLink can help you find nearby paths, and also help you burn calories while getting a different view of the terrain.