The truth is: It’s not always easy to get kids to eat well. But when you make eating fun, they are more likely to dig in. That’s why we love getting creative with food on a stick! Kabobs are not only enjoyable to eat, they’re fun for kids to make as well. Little ones can help assemble kabobs (with close adult supervision) while learning all about the delectable array of meats, fish, veggies and even fruits that can be skewered on a stick.
Here are 10 grilled and no-cook skewer combos that are sure to entice even the pickiest eaters in the family!
Pro Tip: If you are using wooden skewers, soak them in water for 30 minutes to keep them from catching fire on the grill. No need to soak metal skewers, but make sure you use tongs or an oven mitt to remove them from the grill – they get hot.
1. Watermelon and Tomato Skewers: Even sides can be served on a stick! This also works well as a cool and refreshing snack on hot summer days.
2. Pesto Chicken and Vegetable Kabobs: These are perfect for a party (yes, even a kid’s party) or a casual night at home with the family. The best part is, you cook the chicken first, then carve it up to arrange on the stick!
3. Rainbow Veggie Skewers: Who said kabobs had to be made using meat? Your kids won’t be able to resist this mouthwatering new way to eat their veggies when they look like a beautiful rainbow.
4. Pork & Pineapple Kabobs: For kids who crave savory pork chops and sweet pineapple, this is an unbeatable combo.
5. Fajita Chicken Kabobs: Who doesn’t love classic layers of meat and vegetables? If your children are a little more sensitive to the heat, cut back on the chili powder.
6. BBQ Salmon & Fruit Skewers: If your child is wild for fish, then they will love this pairing of salmon and fresh summer fruits. Be creative and try it with any combination of fruit you have on hand!
7. On the Go Rainbows: A perfect refreshing snack or dessert the whole family will enjoy! Pack some for a trip to the pool or bring along to a picnic. And the best part is, no cooking involved!
8. Southwestern Kabobs: Your kids adore Taco Tuesday, so they’ll clamor for this delicious recipe from Walmart.
10. Lunch Kabobs: Looking for a fast, easy way to serve the kids a healthy vitamin and protein-rich lunch? This is the perfect recipe to get creative with your child’s favorite meats and veggies.