Editor’s Note: 11 Questions with … is a regular series profiling some of our favorite bloggers, athletes, celebrities and real moms and dads. Find other installments here.
As the host of her own healthy cooking show “Cook Time with Remmi,” teenage entrepreneur Remmi Smith inspires children all over the country to live in wellness. Remmi’s Italian salad dressing is sold at Whole Foods Market and other specialty stores. She has also authored a cookbook, Global Cooking for Kids, which features healthy recipes from around the world. Remmi is the Student Ambassador for Sodexo, which serves her recipes in over 4,000 schools across the country.
- If you were stranded on a deserted island, and only one vegetable grew on that island, what vegetable would you want it to be? I love vegetables so this is really a hard one for me! I’d probably want it to be either beets or carrots. I love root vegetables.
- What is your healthiest habit? My healthiest habit is cooking food that is healthy. This way I try more foods that I didn’t know were healthy for me before, and I always learn more about nutritious foods.
- What is your go-to nutritious breakfast? I love steel-cut oatmeal topped with a little brown sugar, walnuts and strawberries (if they’re in season).
- What are the 3 items that are always in your fridge/pantry? The three things I always have in my fridge/pantry are cucumbers, oranges and parsley. I use parsley a lot in my cooking as it gives both cold and hot dishes a really fresh flavor. Cucumbers and oranges are some of my favorite foods.
- What is your favorite workout? My favorite workout is running and I do a lot of sit-ups.
- Who is your fitness hero? My fitness hero is Gabby Douglas. She has worked hard to stay in shape and healthy and achieved incredible things while doing so.
- How do you take your water – sparkling, flat, over ice? I like my water flat, and I also like it served with a lemon or an orange slice.
- What is your guilty pleasure? Flaming Hot Cheetos is my guilty pleasure and I eat the whole bag!
- What is your healthy eating philosophy? I think a huge part of healthy eating isn’t just what you’re eating, but also how much of it you eat. Portion control is a big factor, I believe, in healthy eating.
- What is your go-to nutritious family dinner dish? One of my favorites family dinner dishes is Angel Hair Pasta with Tomato Pancetta Sauce; it’s light and tastes amazing.
- What is the best health advice you’ve ever received? To always make sure you balance healthy eating with exercise. Having both is key to living a healthy lifestyle, even if I enjoy the food side more.