Editor’s Note: 11 Questions with … is a regular series profiling some of our favorite bloggers, athletes, celebrities and real moms and dads. Find other installments here.
Lois Durant, MS, RD is a registered dietitian with Sodexo at George Mason University. She received a Bachelor of Science degree in Home Economics and a Master of Science in Food and Nutrition from Winthrop University. Lois is also a member of the Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics and the Northern Virginia Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics through which she became certified in adult weight management. Currently, Lois provides group nutrition classes and individual counseling services to students at George Mason University.
1. If you were stranded on a deserted island, and only one vegetable grew on that island, what vegetable would you want it to be? Fresh beets, because they are nutritious and delicious.
2. What is your healthiest habit? Walking.
3. What is your go-to nutritious breakfast? Oatmeal with fruit and egg whites.
4. What are the 3 items that are always in your fridge/pantry? Yogurt, variety fruits and eggs.
5. What is your favorite way to move and stay fit? Walking and line dancing.
6. Who is your culinary hero? My paternal grandmother. All meals were delicious.
7. How do you take your water – sparkling, flat, fruit-infused, over ice? Flat at room temperature.
8. What is your guilty pleasure? Apple Pie.
9. What is your healthy eating philosophy? Balance the day, balance the week with variety and moderation.
10. What is your go-to nutritious dinner dish? Salmon and Swiss chard.
11. What is the best nutrition advice you’ve ever given? “All foods are on the table”. Practice balance and moderation.
12. What’s your go-to healthy recipe resource? I like allrecipes.com. I love the testimonials. I switch ingredients often for healthier options.
13. As a dietitian, what current food trend would you like to see stick around? Farm to Table movement.